What Does It Mean When Someone Is Speaking In Tongues? – What The Bible Says About Speaking In Tongues , read below.
In this our present dispensation, their has been a lot of misconceptions and controversies surrounding the gifts of speaking of tongues. There has also been a lot of sermon, human doctrines and heresies regarding the gifts of the spirit.
But with this bible scriptures I will be sharing, I will be clearing some misconceptions as regards to speaking in tongues.
1. ACTS 2 vs 4: And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit have them utterance. (KJV)
Check Also: Catholic Prayers For Financial Help
I would like us to note the “utterance” in this passage. No pastor or prophet or any other person told them what to say or taught them, neither did they go to any school or academy to learn it, but the Spirit which is the Holy Ghost gave them utterance.
2. MARK 16 vs 17: And these signs will accompany those who believe: in my name they will cast out demons; they will speak in new tongues. (ESV)
As believers one of our rights and privilege is the gifts of the spirit, which includes speaking in tongues and other spiritual gifts. It is part of our inheritance as a believer and so therefore we shouldn’t allow the devil or anyone tell us otherwise.
3. ACTS 19 vs 6: And when paul had laid his hands upon them, the Holy Ghost came on them; and they spake with tongues and prophesied. (KJV)
If you desire the gift of speaking in tongues, you can get it by being imparted. Like in the scriptures above we can see how the disciples started speaking in tongues and prophesying by apostle paul laying hands on them through impartation.
4. 1st CORINTHIANS 12 vs 10-11: He gives one person the power to perform miracles, and another the ability to prophesy. He gives someone else the ability to discern whether a message is from the spirit of God or from another spirit. Still another person is given the ability to speak in unknown languages, while another is given the ability to interpret what is being said. It is the one and only Spirit who distributes all these gifts. He alone decides which gift each person should have (NLT)
There are diverse gift of the spirit, and all are from God, we can posses a lot of other gifts of the spirit, and not just speaking in tongues alone.
5. JUDE 1 vs 20: But you beloved, build yourselves up on (the foundation of) your most holy faith (continually progress, rise like an ediface higher and higher), pray in the holy spirit (AMP)
Here we see how the bible admonish us to pray and speak in the spirit, because it edifies us, and when we speak in tongues, we don’t speak to the understanding of men, but when we pray in tongues, we pray to only the understanding of God.